"^M"

Julian Field jkf at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Wed Jun 5 14:38:54 IST 2002

At 14:32 05/06/2002, you wrote:
>On Wed, Jun 05, 2002 at 01:43:38PM +0100, Julian Field wrote:
> > At 18:54 04/06/2002, you wrote:
> > >I know that I've been writing a shell script for
> > >automatically updating the Sophos ide files.
> >
> > Why?
>
>Oh nothing Julian. It's just that I do not master perl quite well enough
>yet and just wanted to see if I could write a short shell script myself
>and drop it in /etc/cron.weekly or trigger it with procmail on the
>receipt of mail from Sophos.

If you do write your own, be sure to lock the /tmp/SophosBusy.lock file
while you are updating Sophos, or you could be writing new IDE files at the
same time as MailScanner is trying to use them, resulting in a duff set of
IDE files for that pass, which could allow a virus through. I'm not
convinced you can do that with sh (which is exactly why I wrote it in perl
in the first place).

But, hey, it's your users.... :)
                             Southampton SO17 1BJ