Stopping MailScanner (gracefully?)

Lee Garner garner at GARNET.ACNS.FSU.EDU
Mon Jul 29 21:42:28 IST 2002

Is it "safe" to stop MailScanner by just doing a `kill <pid>'?

I.e. does MailScanner do any signal trapping and graceful exiting
on the receipt of a TERM signal?  Or, if killed as above will things
be left half-done and intermediate files left behind, etc.?

In that case, I suppose the safest way to stop MailScanner would
be to first stop the SMTP daemon (the one filling the mqueue.in
directory), wait for MailScanner to go idle and then kill it.

If MailScanner *does* pay attention to signals, can you do a
`kill -HUP <pid>' to make it re-read the configuration file?

Thanks,

 - Lee Garner
   Systems Group
   Academic Computing & Network Services