Avoid scanning local mail

G. Armour Van Horn vanhorn at whidbey.com
Sun Jul 28 08:52:14 IST 2002

I'm running MailScanner 3.13-2 and Kaspersky AV on my primary mail server. I also
send out about 5500 pieces of mail (Quotes of the Day by subscription) every
night. I save two text files to the server, one is the body of the text version,
the other is the HTML version, along with lists of subscribers to each version. A
pair of Perl scripts mails the copy to each address in turn using
"/usr/sbin/sendmail -t" - which I think would count as invoking sendmail directly
from the command line rather than via SMTP.

Contrary to what the FAQ says I should expect, the delivered mail is being
scanned. This is a particular problem since MailScanner uses the command-line
version of Kaspersky instead of the daemonized version - by the time I've sent a
couple of hundred messages my load average is up to 6, and the mailrun takes at
least three times as long as before I installed MailScanner.

The performance is completely fine during the day when we just have the typical
load from 120 users. Is there another way to keep MailScanner from going through
the outgoing mail?

Van Van Horn

Sign up now for Quotes of the Day, a handful of quotations
on a theme delivered every morning.
Enlightenment! Daily, for free!
mailto:twisted at whidbey.com?subject=Subscribe_QOTD

For web hosting and maintenance,