Missing f-protwrapper

Randall Long rlong at MAIL.WVNET.EDU
Fri Jul 26 16:19:39 IST 2002

Hello...
I have a feeling this is a stupid question
because no one else is posting about it
(and I've searched the archives)

if so...I apologize...

I'm running RedHat Linux 7.3 and have installed
MailScanner version 3.22-7. I'm trying to use F-prot
as the virus scanner (version 3.12a).

Both were installed using the RPM.

In the mailscanner.conf file, I changed the 'Virus Scanner'
entry from 'sophos' to 'f-prot'. I want to change the 'Sweep'
entry to the correct wrapper, however, there was no 'f-protwrapper'
file in this f-prot distribution.

If I comment out the 'Sweep' line, this message is displayed:

MailScanner:       Configuration file /opt/sophos/bin/sophoswrapper
could not be opened for reading! at /usr/local/MailScanner/bin/logger.pl
line 64.

and MailScanner fails to start.

If I leave the 'Sweep' line pointing to the non-existent sophoswrapper,
MailScanner starts
but then MailScanner complains that it can not execute sophoswrapper.

We've tested MailScanner and it seems to work. It detected and cleaned
email with attachments we knew to be infected.

How should MailScanner be configured without the f-protwrapper file?