From/To Whitelist (was Re: ANNOUNCE: Version 3.22-5 released)

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Jul 23 19:36:35 IST 2002

At 18:19 23/07/2002, you wrote:

> > >Thanks. In fact I already noticed that the really local messages (coming
> > > from the machines in the subnets under my control and so in 'Accept Spam
> > > From') where whitelisted and I put the whole subnet in the Accept Spam
> > > From. BTW, is it possible to indicate a masked subnet, perhaps in a
> > > future version?
> >
> > That would have been a good idea. Currently you can only do 8/16/24 bit
> > subnets. Never thought of it...
> >

>After some checking, looks like the generic 'Accept Spam From' is not a
>solution for me, since the main mail server of our domain (the one receiving
>the mail xxx at polito.it and delivering to my subnet) was included in 'Accept
>Spam From', so all the incoming mail were marked as whitelisted.
>
>Back to the restricted 'Accept Spam From'.

What I have done is this: I have extended the syntax of the
spam.whitelist.conf file and left the configuration keywords as they are.
Instead of an "address" per line, it now has "To" or "From" plus an address
on each line. Backwards compatibility is provided by recognising it when
there is only 1 word on the line, not the 2 in the new syntax.

Take a look at version 3.22-6 which is in the downloads directory (but not
linked from the web site yet). Please can you give this one a go and see if
it solves the problem for you. I need to do some more testing before
publicly releasing it, so all feedback is much appreciated.
                             Southampton SO17 1BJ