slow down with Use SpamAssassin = yes

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Jul 23 15:04:52 IST 2002

What version of MailScanner are you using? Do you have a setting
         Compile SpamAssassin Once = yes
in your mailscanner.conf file? If you are running an old version  that
doesn't have this setting, then I advise you upgrade.

Using either a spamc/spamd solution or a milter solution won't go any
faster than new versions of MailScanner (in the end of the day, the
underlying SpamAssassin engine is all perl).

At 13:18 23/07/2002, you wrote:

>I m still having problems with MailScanner running very slowly when I have
>Use SpamAssassin = yes in my mailscanner.conf file.  I have
>skip_rbl_checks 1 in my spam.assassin.prefs.conf file.  I have also
>downloaded and installed SpamAssassin again, just to make sure it wasn t a
>problem with it.  I also have all RBL lines commented out.  I m not sure
>where the problem may be.
>

>For an idea on what I mean by very slowly , here s a snippet of my logs:
>

>root at mail-server:/usr/local/MailScanner/etc# tail -f /var/log/messages |
>grep scanner
>
>Jul 23 07:14:22 mail-server mailscanner[31122]: MailScanner E-Mail Virus
>Scanner version 3.22 starting.
>
>Jul 23 07:14:22 mail-server mailscanner[31122]: Configuring mailscanner
>for sendmail...
>
>Jul 23 07:14:23 mail-server mailscanner[31122]: Using locktype = flock
>
>Jul 23 07:14:26 mail-server mailscanner[31123]: Startup: found 1515
>messages waiting
>
>Jul 23 07:14:41 mail-server mailscanner[31123]: Forwarding 53
>clean/unscanned messages, 411969 bytes
>
>Jul 23 07:14:41 mail-server mailscanner[31123]: Scanning 100 messages,
>855578 bytes
>
>Jul 23 07:22:17 mail-server mailscanner[31123]: Scanned 100 messages,
>855578 bytes in 15 seconds
>
>Jul 23 07:22:19 mail-server mailscanner[31123]: Forwarding 100
>clean/unscanned messages, 1288695 bytes
>
>Jul 23 07:22:19 mail-server mailscanner[31123]: Scanning 100 messages,
>1139850 bytes
>

>About 8 minutes to scan 100 messages.  That s hurting me. However, when I
>use spamass-milter, it s screaming fast, but you must sacrifice
>functionality for speed (in my case, I m not able to delete high scoring
>spam while using the milter).
>

>I have contacted the authors of spamass-milter, and they have given me
>pointers on how to get this functionality, however my C skills are not
>well enough developed to complete the task.  If anyone would be interested
>in pushing spamass-milter in to MailScanner, I d be happy to post the
>information that I have been given.
>

>Either way, I was hoping that someone might be able to point me to the
>right direction as to where I should look on how to correct the speed
>problems that I m experiencing.
>

>Thanks in advance,
>
>Bill Omer

                             Southampton SO17 1BJ