sendmail 8.12 and mailscanner

Mojahedul Hoque Abul Hasanat mojahed at AGNI.COM
Sat Jul 20 06:35:13 IST 2002

On Thu, Jul 18, 2002 at 10:13:29AM +0100, Julian Field wrote:
> >clientmqueue is used by the submission agent when it can not deliver a
> >mail immediately, e.g. DNS timeouts and other temporary problems.  You
> >have to run a separate queue runner to flush the mails from clientmqueue
> >periodically.  A typical way to run it is:
> >
> >  /usr/sbin/sendmail -L sm-msp-queue -Ac -q20m
> >
> >As far as I know, this queue runner will send the mails to the sendmail
> >daemon running on the local machine through SMTP.  So, you don't need to
> >worry, your mails will end up in mailscanners incoming queue.  Just
> >remember to run this queue runner if you have locally generated mails.
>
> Thanks for the info. So clientmqueue will only get used once a delivery
> attempt has been made (and hence long after MailScanner has processed the
> message).

Sorry I wasn't clear enough.  The order is a bit wrong.

For locally generated mail, the submission agent firs tries to send the
mail to the local daemon through SMTP.  If it succeeds, the mail will go
to mqueue.in.  If it fails for a temporary error (e.g. DNS timeout in
trying to canonicalize sender/recipient domain), the mail will be put in
clientmqueue.  The clientmqueue queue runner will pickup the mail later
and deliver it to the local daemon.  So the mail will end up in
mqueue.in anyway.

--
Mojahed
System Administrator, Agni Systems Limited