sendmail 8.12 and mailscanner

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Jul 18 11:11:55 IST 2002

The sendmail that handles the incoming mail specifies the QueueDirectory on
the command-line (while starting up the daemon process). This forces it to
use mqueue.in. Also the submit.cf is not used when starting sendmail with
the "-bd" switch. This is from the "SECURITY" file in the sendmail docs:

>The .cf file is chosen based on the operation mode.  For -bm (default),
>-bs, and -t it is submit.cf (if it exists) for all others it is
>sendmail.cf.

So the incoming one uses mqueue just like it always did. So input to
MailScanner should work. Once MailScanner has done its job, it moves the
message to mqueue.

"Batch" mode then tries to trigger the message delivery. If this fails,
then the message stays in mqueue (it certainly does on my system running
8.12.3). So the clientmqueue doesn't appear to be involved with this
functionality at all.

 From my experiments "queue" mode basically works the same way (but without
the initial delivery attempt).

                             Southampton SO17 1BJ