Syslog & Perl on Solaris

Rabellino Sergio rabellino at DI.UNITO.IT
Wed Jul 17 14:34:13 IST 2002

Dear list,
 i've found that in the normal distribution of perl 5.6.0 (and maybe the bundled perl on solaris) there is a little bug as follow
> If you get this error from mailscanner:
>
>  Usage: Sys::Syslog::_PATH_LOG() at /usr/../Sys/Syslog.pm
>
> Then the solution is:
>
> You should change line 277 of your Syslog.pm from :
>             my $syslog = &_PATH_LOG || croak "_PATH_LOG not found in syslog.ph";

>             my $syslog = &_PATH_LOG() || croak "_PATH_LOG not found in syslog.ph";

These instruction were ripped from the Sympa FAQ (www.sympa.org)...
More bigger is the following bug:
> "Your vendor has not defined the Sys::Syslog macro _PATH_LOG at > /opt/lib/perl5/5. > 6.0/sun4-solaris/Sys/Syslog.pm line 277, CONF line 275."
>
>       This is a Solaris-specific problem that is worth reporting to Sun.
>       Perl 5.6.0's behaviour has changed compared to perl 5.005 : if setlogsock('unix') failed it would retry with 'inet' ; Perl 5.6.0 won't try it. Perl developpers told
>       us it will be corrected with Perl 5.6.1.
>       The bug related to &_PATH_LOG() will also be corrected in Perl 5.6.1
>
>       See proposed bug fix on Perl.org : http://bugs.perl.org/perlbug.cgi?req=bidmids&bidmids=20000522.003
>       If you can't manage to fix this bug on your system, you can avoid
>       it using UDP to communicate with SyslogD.

So set inet in Logger.pl instead of unix

Hope this can help someone....

--
Dott. Sergio Rabellino

 Technical Staff