MAPS RBL+ worth it?

Joris Trooster / Interstroom trooster at INTERSTROOM.NL
Tue Jul 16 12:38:56 IST 2002

Hello Peter,

Thanks for the script. There's a small error in analog4mailscanner.pl:
$TotalOsurisoft++ should be $TotalOsirusoft++

I am using exim and have my mailscanner logs seperated from the
exim/mailserver logs. I changed to script to calculate the number of
scanned e-mails from the mailscanner log only:

while(<LOG>) {
  chomp;
  if (/mailscanner/) {
    $TotalMails += $1 if /Scanning (\d+)/;
    $TotalViruses += $1 if /found (\d+) viruses in/i;
    if (/is spam according to/) {
      $TotalSpam++;
      $TotalMonkeys++                   if /Infinite-Monkeys/;
      $TotalOsirusoft++                 if /osirusoft\.com/;
      $TotalORDB_RBL++                  if /ORDB-RBL/;
      $TotalSPEWS++                     if /SPEWS/;
      $TotalWIREHUB_DNSBL++             if /WIREHUB-DNSBL/;
      $TotalRFC_IGNORANT_IPWHOIS++      if /RFC-IGNORANT-IPWHOIS/;
      $TotalRFC_IGNORANT_DSN++          if /RFC-IGNORANT-DSN/;
      $TotalRFC_IGNORANT_POSTMASTER++   if /RFC-IGNORANT-POSTMASTER/;
      $TotalRFC_IGNORANT_ABUSE++        if /RFC-IGNORANT-ABUSE/;
      $TotalRFC_IGNORANT_WHOIS++        if /RFC-IGNORANT-WHOIS/;
      if (/SpamAssassin/) {
        $TotalAssassinScore += $1+($2/10) if /score=(\d+)\.(\d+),/;
        $TotalAssassin++;
      }
    }
  }
}

Remember that one e-mail message will be scanned twice (if the
disinfected/scanned message is forwarded to the user).

---

I also changed to function CleanAndDirty in sweep.pl to log the
virusscan output in the mailscanner logfile. The output depends on the
virusscanner you are using. With a script one should be able to create
statistics about individual viruses.

Just check for:
Found application .....
Found the ..... virus           (mcafee output)
in email in .....

sub CleanAndDirty {
  my($Reports, $IdList, $Clean, $Dirty, $Silent) = @_;
  my(%clean, %dirty, %silent, $key, $id, $value, $part, $text, $name);
  map { $clean{$_} = 1 } @$IdList;
  #foreach $id (keys %$Reports) {
  while(($id,$value) = each %$Reports) {
    delete $clean{$id}; # It isn't clean
    $dirty{$id} = 1;    # It is dirty unless it needs to be silent
    while(($part, $text) = each %$value) {
      Log::InfoLog("Virus - ".$text);
      next unless @Config::SilentVirusNames; # for speed
      foreach $name (@Config::SilentVirusNames) {
        if ($text =~ /\Q$name\E/) {
          # We got a virus name match, so this virus should be silent
          $silent{$id} = 1;
          delete $dirty{$id};
        }
      }