SpamAssassin Hangup

Mojahedul Hoque Abul Hasanat mojahed at AGNI.COM
Mon Jul 15 11:05:05 IST 2002

Hello All,

I switched to MailScanner from a milter based scanner and it really
rocks!  LoadAvg has gone down substantially and we are from nasty milter
problems.

Unfortunately, I am having a hard time with SpamAssasin.  For most of
the mails it's working fine, but it gets hung up for some of the mails.
I have stopped all DNS based lookups except the MX check from SA.  DNS
blacklists are off in MailScanner too.  MailScanner has to kill SA after
the timeout.

The list archive suggests this may be due to DNS lookups, but I think in
our case this is not true.  Besides, mailscanner takes 100% cpu when SA
gets stuck with those mails.  I have changed spamassassin timeout to 0
to see how long it takes.  It consumes 100% cpu until I kill it.  I am
on Slackware, mail traffic around 30K per day.

Any ideas on what could be wrong?  Is there any easy way to debug this?

--
Mojahed
System Administrator, Agni Systems Limited