sendmail sometimes refuses connections.. anyone have simularproblem

Matt Doherty Matthew_doherty at DATAWATCH.COM
Fri Jul 12 18:31:06 IST 2002

Ok Thanks for the tip!
Yes the webmail program is on the same machine. And webmail was sending mail
fine at the time sendmail refused mail sending from email client programs...
>The next time it happens to you, try to list the listening sockets, and
t>he processes ... I'm sure it will help you to diagnose the problem! :)

You mean run the "top" command i suppose. Right?
But how and why would sendmail refuse to listen on the port. DOS attacks
wern't present at the time either. Nothing suspicious was happiening during
the time of failure. cpu was at 7% 1GB of memory had 25% free, maillog was
calm (tail -f maillog).. Problem is, to be able to catch it, I must be here
in the wee morning hours with toothpicks holding my eye lids open.. seems to
occur anywhere between 11pm - 7am.. I thought it could be a cron job
affecting this, but there isnt any problems of any runaway processes going
on either..

Anyways, Thank You for the reply!

In a world without walls or fences, who needs Windows and Gates?