Incorrect "virus" detection?

Martin Sapsed m.sapsed at BANGOR.AC.UK
Wed Jul 10 10:24:19 IST 2002

nwp at lemon-computing.com wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 09, 2002 at 09:45:09AM +0100, Martin Sapsed wrote:
>
> > random file ending in .this.that because no matter what's in the file,
> > windows doesn't (does it?) stupidly execute a file ending in .that?
>
> Windows recognises certain file types no matter what the extension; Office
> documents, for example (IIRC).

Blimey! Scary! Apologies folks - didn't realise that. However, it still
won't blindly execute files with random extensions (yet, at least on W98 -
does XP?) Please tell me it doesn't!

Are we sure that we've got all the extensions that windows will blindly
execute though? I guess it's anything which has (or can get to) a registry
key HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\<whatever>\shell\open\command where the value begins
with %1?

Cheers,

Martin

--
Martin Sapsed                           To have no errors
Information Services                    Would be life without meaning