Incorrect "virus" detection?

Peter Peters P.G.M.Peters at civ.utwente.nl
Tue Jul 9 07:59:29 IST 2002

On Mon, 8 Jul 2002 23:16:39 -0400, you wrote:

>Gerry Doris wrote:
>> >    Report: Attempt to hide real filename extension in evan.agenda.july.doc
>> This check is to catch an annoying habit of Windows to only show the first
>> extension ie note.doc when in fact the file name is note.doc.vbs (an
>> executable visual basic file).  Unsuspecting receivers of such a file will
>> execute the file by openning a innocent appearing .doc file.
>
>Yes, I know what it is for...  I'm just not sure it is overly relevant and/or
>worth it if I am running a decent virus scanner.
>
>I mean, I just had a person miss a file attachment that was not infected
>simply because it ended in .july.doc.  :)
>
>> It's best to leave this option the way it is and try to avoid multiple
>> extension file names...they're too dangerous in Windows.
>
>Indeed -- it should be fairly rare, I guess.  Not many Windows people using
>"." as a separator in the filename normally.

I have seen Windows do it by their own. Sometimes when you rename a file
(and have hide extension enabled) it will suddenly show the extension
when the filename is editable. When you forget to delete the extension
it is kept with a double extension as a result.

--
Peter Peters
senior netwerkbeheerder,  Centrum voor Informatievoorziening,