Incorrect "virus" detection?

Gerry Doris gerry at DORFAM.CA
Tue Jul 9 03:45:32 IST 2002

On Mon, 8 Jul 2002, John Goggan wrote:

> I got this recently:
>
> ---
> The following e-mail messages were found to have viruses in them:
>
>    Sender: <samiddle at kresanet.org>
> Recipient: <rhonda at maskill.com>
>   Subject: Evan/Soc. Ministry meeting
> MessageID: g691fE305173
>    Report: Attempt to hide real filename extension in evan.agenda.july.doc
> ---
>
> The file does not actually contain a virus -- I am assuming that the "filname
> extension" checker just caught it, correct?  Since I'm running a virus scanner
> -- do people recommend that I just turn that option off?  Or is there
> something else I should be doing to avoid this misdetection?
>
>  - John...

This check is to catch an annoying habit of Windows to only show the first
extension ie note.doc when in fact the file name is note.doc.vbs (an
executable visual basic file).  Unsuspecting receivers of such a file will
execute the file by openning a innocent appearing .doc file.

It's best to leave this option the way it is and try to avoid multiple
extension file names...they're too dangerous in Windows.

Gerry
--

"The lyfe so short, the craft so long to learne"  Chaucer