Installing prerequisite packages

Bruno Melloni x.mailscanner.mail at MELLONI.COM
Fri Jul 5 18:39:10 IST 2002

Thanks for the reply to my long list of questions.

I apologize if I gave the impression of finding Mailscanner difficult.  On
the contrary, I find it quite easy and clear.  I did have some
misunderstandings as to "how necessary" the other non-mailscanner pieces
were, and some difficulty with their documentation.

I noticed your efforts to consolidate all configuration (including
spamassin's and the virus scanners) into mailscanner/etc directory.  It
makes things a lot easier, since it allows "default" installs of those other
packages.

I would be glad to contribute an FAQ section for a
sophisticated-home-user/small-business setup of
mailscanner/spamassassin/f-prot.  I am currently tied-up fortifying the
security of my home network after a hacker/spammer assault (I ticked-off a
spammer), but if you have not heard from me in 60 days feel free to remind
me of my promise.

In the meantime I have an addition to the FAQ:  "Should install f-prot
before mailscanner.  f-prot creates a symbolic link from /usr/local/f-prot
to the actual f-prot directory during install.  If mailscanner is installed
first and creates the f-prot directory, then the f-prot install does not
behave as expected.  The problem caused is easily fixed by moving the
mailscanner files and creating the symbolic link manually.".

Bruno