no more virusscanning

Peter Peters P.G.M.Peters at civ.utwente.nl
Fri Jul 5 15:27:45 IST 2002

On Sat, 6 Jul 2002 01:35:06 +1200, you wrote:

>> I see f-prot is run in /var/spool/MailScanner/incoming with the command
>> "/opt/f-prot/f-prot  -old -archive -dumb .". But when I look in that
>> directory I only zie .headers files. And when I extend the logging a bit
>> more I get "Error: Cannot open message file.".
>>
>> I am running MailScanner 3.20-4.
>
>Sounds like f-prot is getting confused about where it lives. I've just recently
>downloaded the latest f-prot and notice that it *really* prefers to live in
>/usr/local/f-prot... this is IMHO extremely slack of someone.

Oop. Forgot to tell I solved the problem. Was a big error from my side.
I installed the new engine but somehow I deleted a file f-prot needed
(ENGLISH.TX0).

The "message file" indicated in the error didn't point to the message
files MailScanner generated but to the binary file ENGLISH.TX0 in which
(I now learned) are the messages f-prot shows.

Restoring the file didn't work at first because I changed f-protwrapper
to generate some output in a file. And f-prot generated the right output
but it went into the file and not into MailScanner. :-(

After cleaning f-protwrapper everything went allright.

But it helped me to get some better understanding on the workings of
MailScanner and f-prot and their interactions.

--
Peter Peters
senior netwerkbeheerder,  Centrum voor Informatievoorziening,