extreamly long delays

Rose, Bobby brose at MED.WAYNE.EDU
Wed Jul 3 16:33:59 IST 2002

Use queue for delivery method.  Batch will fire off sendmail processes
from mailscanner to deliver the message.  Queue will just drop it in
mqueue and let the sendmail -q1m process deal with delivery.

Turn off spam checking since the SA/RBL checks slow it down alot.  If
you are doing rbl at the MTA then turn off those checks in Mailscanner
and SA.  If you are doing RBL checks in Mailscanner then turn them off
in SA.

        -----Original Message-----
        From: Bill Omer [mailto:bill at DISTMIRR.COM]
        Sent: Wednesday, July 03, 2002 10:11 AM
        To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
        Subject: extreamly long delays

        I'm having some problems with regarding very long delays in mail
delivery.    It seems as if it's getting 'stuck' when there are pieces
of mail in the mail queue in the state of Deferred.  Right now, I see
315 pieces of mail, all in the state of Deferred (with Connection
refused) when I do a mailq.   There are also     2157 pieces of mail in
/var/spool/mqueue.in, and the number keeps growing.

        I have the following set in my mailscanner.conf:

        Max Safe   Messages Per Scan = 500
        Max Unsafe Messages Per Scan = 100
        Max Safe   Bytes Per Scan = 10000000
        Max Unsafe Bytes Per Scan = 5000000

        I'm pretty sure this has something to do with it.  I've been
trying to change the settings here in hopes to increase the speed of
both scanning and delivery.

        I'm also using
        Delivery Method = batch

        Any help on this would be great.