extreamly long delays

Kelly Hamlin fizz at BOMB.NET
Wed Jul 3 16:11:49 IST 2002

Try using delivery method = Queue and set Deliver in background to yes.
Also lower your amount of logging in sendmail cf to like 7 from 9. This
should help a lot.
What are the specs on your mailserver. Also, what features do you have
enabled in your mailscanner.conf?

                  //////
                ( o o )
+--.oooO--(_)--Oooo.-----------------+
| [Kelly Hamlin]
| support at cyberstreet.com
| http://www.cyberstreet.com
|   .oooO
|      (  )    Oooo.
+---   (----(   )----------------------------+
          \_)    ) /
                (_/

-----Original Message-----
Behalf Of Bill Omer
Sent: Wednesday, July 03, 2002 10:11 AM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: extreamly long delays

I'm having some problems with regarding very long delays in mail
delivery.    It seems as if it's getting 'stuck' when there are pieces
of mail in the mail queue in the state of Deferred.  Right now, I see
315 pieces of mail, all in the state of Deferred (with Connection
refused) when I do a mailq.   There are also        2157 pieces of mail
in /var/spool/mqueue.in, and the number keeps growing.

I have the following set in my mailscanner.conf:

Max Safe   Messages Per Scan = 500
Max Unsafe Messages Per Scan = 100
Max Safe   Bytes Per Scan = 10000000
Max Unsafe Bytes Per Scan = 5000000

I'm pretty sure this has something to do with it.  I've been trying to
change the settings here in hopes to increase the speed of both scanning
and delivery.

I'm also using
Delivery Method = batch

Any help on this would be great.