Enabling dcc checking

Rose, Bobby brose at MED.WAYNE.EDU
Wed Jul 3 14:58:27 IST 2002

I've been using dcc with SA since it was added without any problems.
The score of 0.0 turns it off so just give it a score. You also have to
set the DCC thresholds in SA, example

dcc_body_max                    20
dcc_fuz1_max                    30
dcc_fuz2_max                    30

 Note that DCC must be installed and you should probably setup it's
whitelists as well.  DCC is similar to razor but is intended to reduce
bulk mailings.  It records every time a message has been seen and you
can set threshold levels to reject the message if using the sendmail
milter or tagged by SA.  So if the fuz2 hash of this message was seen 30
times and that was the threshold then it's tagged.  When you report in
SA or DCC, you are explicitly telling the DCC server that the message
has been seen "many" times so each of the hashes are for that message is
set to many.

The whitelisting in DCC is very important because you can generate false
positives for mailing lists and internal bulk mailings.  I've been using
the milter to block the many's and have SA tag anything else with a
different threshold.  I also use SA to do the reporting so that it's
reported to both Razor and DCC.  I know DCC is more for bulk mailings
but I consider spam to bulk mailing.  DCC's algorithms are better than
Razorv1 because of the fuzzy hashes but Razorv2 is better than DCC, but
still lacks a good milter.