Sophos Sweep using a lot of CPU

Adrian Barker A.Barker at UCL.AC.UK
Tue Jul 2 15:55:46 IST 2002

 >We had a problem like that at one point - it turned out there was a
 >big core dump file in /var/spool/mailscanner/incoming (or wherever
 >your mailscanner working directory is).  Have a look for a core file
 >in that directory and delete it.
 >
 >Steve
 >- --
 >Steven Patterson, MSci.  Tel: +44 (0)2380 595810
 >Electronic Information Systems Support and Development
 >Computing Services, University of Southampton, UK.
 >Public PGP Key: http://www.soton.ac.uk/~srp/pubkey.asc

Many thanks indeed. That has solved the problem immediately. There was
a 1.2 Gb core dump in the mailscanner working directory. We have had
two weeks of severe delays to email due to that. It would be worth adding
to the FAQ to save other people from having the same problem.

Thanks again,

Adrian Barker, Information Systems
University College London, Gower Street, London WC1E 6BT
External phone: (+44) 020 7679  2795,  Fax (+44) 20 7388 5406
Internal phone: x 32795
Email: A.Barker at ucl.ac.uk

Adrian.