looping over zero length file

Richard D Alloway ralloway at CHARTERPA.NET
Tue Jul 2 14:48:26 IST 2002

Hello all!

I'm not a long time user of mailscanner, but I have it installed on two
low volume servers for testing at the moment.

I've noticed that the load on one of the servers went up recently and
stayed there.  Syslogd was the culprit (according to top) so I checked out
the log files.

The logs were filled with:

Jul  2 09:37:51 www mailscanner[32638]: Scanning 1 messages, 0 bytes
Jul  2 09:37:52 www mailscanner[32638]: Scanned 1 messages, 0 bytes in 1 seconds

...about 7 to 10 times per second.

I thought mailscanner might has lost it's mind, so I restarted
mailscanner, which did no resolve the issue.

In /var/spool/mqueue.in, I have a single file:

-rw-------   1 root     root            0 Jun  7 17:40 qfRAA06251

Removing it solved the problem...

Perhaps mailscanner should check to ensure that the file is non-zero
length before attempting to parse it...

Thanks, and keep up the great work!

-Rich