Sendmail 8.12.3 warning with mailscanner

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Jul 1 21:55:37 IST 2002

RedHat have yet to produce RPMs for sendmail 8.12 :-(
Can you try setting
Sendmail2 = /usr/sbin/sendmail >/dev/null 2>&1
in your mailscanner.conf and then try it (just try pushing a clean text
message through it)?

Also, does this happen only when MailScanner and its sendmails are started
on bootup, or does it occur if you stop and then start MailScanner from a
window (and then leave the window open for the first few messages)?

STDERR and STDIN certainly appear to be open, the only one that appears
doubtful is STDOUT, though I never explicitly close any of them. Is there
any documentation with sendmail 8.12 that might help diagnose this? Why
does sendmail suddenly need these file descriptors anyway? It never used to :-(

At 21:15 01/07/2002, you wrote:
>I've just installed mailscanner with sendmail 8.12.2 and am seeing the
>same warning, always generated by the sendmail instance used to deliver a
>just-scanned message.
>
>Is mailscanner calling sendmail with closed standard file descriptors?
>
>brent emerson
>techforpeople
>

> > Date:         Wed, 19 Jun 2002 11:03:25 -0700
> > Sender:       MailScanner mailing list <MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK>
> > From:         David Closson <davidclosson at MSN.COM>
> > Subject:      Sendmail 8.12.3 warning with mailscanner
> >
> > This warning was issued after setting up mailscanner:
> >
> > sendmail[9672]: File descriptors missing on startup: stdout, stderr; Bad
> > file descriptor
> >
> > I have read that this is caused if stdin, stdout, or stderr are missing
> > at sendmail startup (as the error indicates).
> >
> > _________ Sincerely, David Closson 209-728-8199

                             Southampton SO17 1BJ