Fw: Warning: E-mail viruses detected

David Sullivan David.Sullivan at BARNET.AC.UK
Thu Jan 31 16:33:35 GMT 2002

On 31 Jan 2002 at 21:39, Rishi Gangoly wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Can anyone help?
>
> How did this happen?
>
> They were plain PDF files and for sure did not have any Viruses in them.

<snip>

> One or more of the attachments are on the list of unacceptable attachments
> for this site and will not have been delivered.
>
> Consider renaming the files or putting them into a "zip" file to avoid
> this constraint.
>
> The virus detector said this about the message:
> Report: Attempt to hide real filename extension in datasheet.raq3.pdf
> Report: Attempt to hide real filename extension in datasheet.raq4.pdf
This will happen for any "double extension" that doesn't have an explicit
"allow" in the filename.rules.conf

This has caught us out, we've recently added ".doc" as an allow rule so you may
want to do a similar thing for ".pdf" files.
Whether this is *completely* safe is debateable.

Regards

--
David Sullivan        IT Services, Barnet College, London
                            David.Sullivan at barnet.ac.uk
                            020 8275 5036