Myparty Strangeness

Stuart Luppescu s-luppescu at UCHICAGO.EDU
Wed Jan 30 15:19:03 GMT 2002

On 水, 2002-01-30 at 06:12, Nick Phillips wrote:
> On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 08:18:55PM -0500, Alex Short wrote:
>
> > When someone sends me myparty, it changes myparty.yahoo.com whichever to
> > AB283.dat or something along those lines.  It doesn't detect any type of
> > virus either, but if i save AB283.dat then scan it, its myparty.
>
> I've sent Alex the EICAR.COM test "virus" uuencoded in the body of the
> message to see whether that gets detected. Maybe uvscan just doesn't
> pick up on uuencoded stuff embedded in plain text - anybody else with uvscan
> care to try it?

We're running mailscanner 3.04-1 on RedHat 6.2 installed from RPMS, and
uvscan, and several MyParty messages have gotten through completely
untouched. I problem is that, according to McAfee, the virus detection
code for MyParty is in data file 4184, but the latest one they're
distributing is 4183. Try figure. I may be mistaken, but I had heard
that MyParty stopped propagating last night at midnight, so all this
discussion may be moot.
Stuart Luppescu -=- s-luppescu at uchicago.edu
University of Chicago -=- CCSR
才文と智奈美の父 -=-    Kernel 2.4.14-xfs