Monitor Que Lengths

Steve Evans sevans at FOUNDATION.SDSU.EDU
Tue Jan 29 17:03:22 GMT 2002

We're not using spam checking.

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: Dustin Baer [mailto:dustin.baer at IHS.COM]
Sent: Tuesday, January 29, 2002 8:44 AM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: Monitor Que Lengths

Steve Evans wrote:

> I've had mailscanner stop processing mail a couple of times.  The mail just keeps building up until I restart the computer.  (resarting the service doesn't seem to do it usually).  How could I write a script to check the number of files in mqueue.in and mqueue and execute a init6 if it gets over a certain number?
>
> Steve

Steve,

Are you sure that mailscanner actually stopped processing mail?  I had
this problem a few weeks ago, and discovered that it was the SPAM
checking to relays.ordb.org that was causing the problem.  There was a
buildup of over 600 messages in mqueue.in.  Perhaps their site was
down.  After turning off SPAM checking, mqueue.in cleared out in a
matter of seconds.  Maybe try turning of SPAM checking in
mailscanner.conf, before rebooting and see if that helps.

Dustin Baer
VERY Junior Unix Administrator
Information Handling Services
15 Inverness Way East