Monitor Que Lengths

Julian Field jkf at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Tue Jan 29 16:55:50 GMT 2002

At 16:40 29/01/2002, you wrote:
>I've had mailscanner stop processing mail a couple of times.

What version of MailScanner are you using? This was a known problem with
some of the early releases of version 3. You really need to be running 3.04.

>The mail just keeps building up until I restart the computer.  (resarting
>the service doesn't seem to do it usually).

Running /usr/local/MailScanner/bin/check_mailscanner should restart
MailScanner if it is not running.

>   How could I write a script to check the number of files in mqueue.in
> and mqueue and execute a init6 if it gets over a certain number?

How about something like

#!/bin/sh

# Define this to be your maximum allowed mail queue length
MAXLEN=300

LSLEN=`cd /var/spool/mqueue.in && ls | wc -l`
QUEUELEN=`expr $LSLEN / 2`
if [ $QUEUELEN -gt $MAXLEN ]; then
   /sbin/reboot
fi