f-prot output to stdout/stderr and auto update

Nick Phillips nwp at LEMON-COMPUTING.COM
Tue Jan 29 10:44:40 GMT 2002

On Tue, Jan 29, 2002 at 08:36:54AM +0000, Julian Field wrote:
> At 22:09 28/01/2002, you wrote:
> >- f-prot writes output to stdout/stderr. I assume, the wrapper should
> >   redirect this.
>
> It could, it hardly matters though as the stderr output just gets ignored.

It might be nice to shove it into a log, but for the most part it'd probably
get too big too quickly.

Most of the time it could be explicitly redirected to /dev/null, but it's
handy to (be able to) see the output when you start it from a terminal.

> >- does mailscanner provide a locking mechanism independent of the
> >   virus scanner?
>
> There is a lock file called something like "F-ProtBusy.lock" in /tmp which
> is used to lock out the virus scanner while autoupdates happen.

Or in whatever directory you've configured it to use...

> >And last, but not least, is there a bug tracking system for
> >mailscanner?
>
> My inbox :-) And anyway, what bugs? ;-)

Don't tempt fate... please?

Nick Phillips -- nwp at lemon-computing.com
Excellent day for putting Slinkies on an escalator.