uuencoded att's not scanned by Mailscanner?

Sander Jonkers felker at GMX.NET
Mon Jan 28 13:40:19 GMT 2002

> At 04:47 28/01/2002, you wrote:
> >Are uuencoded attachments not scanned by Mailscanner? When I send a
> >uuencoded eicar.com, the eicar.com attachment arrives at the destination,
> >without
> >being blocked by mailscanner.
>
> Proper attachments that are uuencoded should be scanned by MailScanner.
> However what you created wasn't a proper attachment, it was just inline in
> the message without any proper MIME headers or anything.

OK, but the eicar.com arrives as an correct attachment in Outlook Express
and Outlook. Maybe Microsoft is wrong about that, but it causes a dangerous
situation. It could be nice to be pragmatic and also decode 'ugly' uuencoded
files (like Outlook Express).

Furthermore I'll do some tests with pure uuencoded (non-MIME) attachments to
see if that works as expected.

Thanks for your reply.

Sander