mailscanner dying

Julian Field jkf at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Thu Jan 24 09:08:51 GMT 2002

At 22:41 23/01/2002, you wrote:
>I have been having problems with mailscanner right after I installed the
>latest RPM mailscanner-3.03-1.i386.rpm. I also installed the latest
>Sophos tar file sweep version
>
>sweep -v
>
>Product version           : 3.53
>Engine version            : 2.6
>User interface version    : 2.03.079
>Platform                  : Linux/Intel
>Released                  : 07 January 2002
>Total viruses (with IDEs) : 71192
>
>Redhat 7.1 with all the updates

What was printed in your logs before it died? Has MailScanner been putting
anything in your logs? (If not, please read the Installation FAQ).

The "/" has nothing to do with Sophos.

>The /var/spool/mqueue.in the last couple of mornings has been full and
>it takes restarting mailscanner to clear them out. I also turned off
>spam thinking this was the problem. I see below that Julian added "/" to
>the main source to fix the problem with mail scanner dying. So maybe my
>problem is not related, but this seemed the closest email to my problem.
>I have modified my mailscanner.conf to Delivery Method = batch and to
>not do spam everything else is defualt. One thing I did notice on
>install is /usr/local/Sophos/bin was not in my path.

Doesn't need to be. But the /usr/local/Sophos/bin/sophoswrapper script does
need to point to your installation of Sophos, so take a look at the wrapper
script and check that it does.

>  I don't remember
>this error showing up on earlier installs and for the life of me I cant
>get the path to stay. The root shell is korn. So I continued with the
>install.Any help would be greatly appreciated. I also wanted to say good
>job to Julian this has been a great security tool.

Glad you like it!
                             Southampton SO17 1BJ