Need to optimise SpamAssassin with MailScanner

Quentin Campbell Q.G.Campbell at NEWCASTLE.AC.UK
Wed Jan 23 11:05:29 GMT 2002

Am running MailScanner 3.03-1 with SpamAssassin 1.5.

Individually both work well. On enabling SpamAssassin within MailScanner
I found that to get SpamAssassin to work I had to up the SpamAssassin
Timeout to 20 (from 10). Without this change the sendmail logs showed
"SpamAssassin timed out and was killed" every time it was invoked on a
batch of messages.

Even with a value of 20 (seconds?) there was a time yesterday when that
was not high enough.

I am running MailScanner/SpamAssassin on our Mail Relay with the
lightest load. Even with SpamAssassin enabled it normally runs at more
than 90% idle. Our Mail relays are Sparc Ultra-5_10s (400MHz) with 384MB
of memory. The behaviour is curious on such a lightly loaded system.

Note that I have disabled RBL+ plus checking by MailScanner and have
instead enabled it within SpamAssassin (specifying
rbl-plus.mail-abuse.ja.net and a weight of 10 in the
/etc/mail/spamassassin.cf file).

Any pointers as to what might be happening would be welcome.

Quentin
---
PHONE: +44 191 222 8209    Computing Service, University of Newcastle
FAX:   +44 191 222 8765    Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom, NE1 7RU.