Spamassassin, mailscanner 3, etc.

Rose, Bobby brose at MED.WAYNE.EDU
Wed Jan 16 20:52:06 GMT 2002

Well I can say that it's not mailscanner because it's just using the
spamassassin apis.  Since the only ones out there using SA apis are
Mailscanner and SA itself, it could be a perl bug in the apis that SA
guys don't know about yet.  I think the key is to figure how SA is
storing their message content in their program and what they have
written in the document.

I've yet to get procmail or even the .forward to work with SA.  I keep
getting the (/usr/lib/smrsh) exited with EX_TEMPFAIL.  I know I have the
smrsh stuff correct since it run the vacation program fine.  I can't
seem to find a definitive answer on the net for this one yet so I'm
still testing with spamassassin -t by dumping @wholemessage to file from
mailscanner.

I just had weird one where a spam message got tagged as SPAM, but
spamassassin -t gave it a lower score that passing it off thru the apis.
Weird!

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Chaney [mailto:mdchaney at MICHAELCHANEY.COM]
Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2002 3:42 PM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: Spamassassin, mailscanner 3, etc.

<<snip>>

My next round is going to involve getting spamassassin to return its
header to add to the mailscanner headers.  I think the only way to track
down the discrepency that we're seeing between the spamassassin
command-line version and the mailscanner code is to see what's matching
in each and find out why some things aren't matching in mailscanner.  My
guess is that spamassassin is confused about the headers or something
like that, i.e. it's only matching header or only matching body, and
perhaps only on some messages.  I have 1000 spams to work with, it's
only catching 700, so I have 300 to look at and figure out the problem.

Michael
--
Michael Darrin Chaney
mdchaney at michaelchaney.com