Spamassassin, mailscanner 3, etc.

Michael Chaney mdchaney at MICHAELCHANEY.COM
Wed Jan 16 20:41:43 GMT 2002

On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 09:22:40PM -0500, Rose, Bobby wrote:
> I added get_hits () to the sendmail.pl and also uncommented the line to
> save to a queue for analysis (had to move it into the routine where
> $dfilename was getting set though).
>
> Since $dfilename doesn't include the header, I have to subtract 8.33
> from both.
>
> For a message that doesn't get marked as spam, it's score was 4.26 when
> mailscanner passed it off.  If I went to the queue where I dumped
> $dfilename and passed that same message thru spamassassin -t it scored
> 13.2-8.33=4.87
>
> I then sent a message that did get tagged as spam thru.  It's score when
> passed off from mailscanner was 5.92.  When I piped it's $dfilename to
> spamassassin -t it's score was 13.79-8.33=5.46
>
> I'm going to check tomorrow and see if the headers are actually not
> included or if I have the line to save a copy $dfilename in the wrong
> place.

My next round is going to involve getting spamassassin to return its
header to add to the mailscanner headers.  I think the only way to track
down the discrepency that we're seeing between the spamassassin
command-line version and the mailscanner code is to see what's matching
in each and find out why some things aren't matching in mailscanner.  My
guess is that spamassassin is confused about the headers or something
like that, i.e. it's only matching header or only matching body, and
perhaps only on some messages.  I have 1000 spams to work with, it's
only catching 700, so I have 300 to look at and figure out the problem.

Michael
--
Michael Darrin Chaney
mdchaney at michaelchaney.com