Things to be aware of when writing auto-updates

Julian Field jkf at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Jan 14 15:35:35 GMT 2002

At 13:45 14/01/2002, you wrote:
>It's wrong, or rather, sweep.pl is wrong.  Sweep.pl uses the lock file
>in /tmp, when it should really be in /var/lock (under most Linux
>distributions that I know of).

Saying it is "wrong" is a bit strong, IMHO. Many Linux distributions prefer
to put lock files in /var/lock, but so long as all the users of the lock
files agree where they should go everything will work fine.

I have implemented a "Lock File Dir" option in 3.03 for those who want to
move the lock files, and are writing their own autoupdate scripts.
                             Southampton SO17 1BJ