Excluding Certain Recipients

John Hawkes-Reed jkha at HPLB.HPL.HP.COM
Mon Jan 7 17:29:06 GMT 2002

Nick Phillips wrote:

[I'm only seeing half of this, unfortunately]

> On Mon, Jan 07, 2002 at 10:56:21AM -0500, Christopher Hicks wrote:

[ On per-user config within the MTA ]

> > No. I think it would be much simpler.
>
> You're mistaken. Honest. Trust me [cheesey smile]...

It won't scale, for one thing...

[ ... ]

> > How would you express that in sendmail.cf?

It's not really sendmail's problem.  The MTA should just be in the
business of recieving messages, potentially implementing some
domain-wide munging (outbound masquerade, for instance) and then handing
the messages off for 'local' delivery to a mail-store. The mail-store's
the only bit of kit that really needs to know anything about users, so
if there's per-user decisions to be made, that would seem to be the
place. For instance, tagging some perl onto the end of the 'change my
POP/IMAP password' web-page that drops one of three procmail scripts
into the user's homedir, depending on the state of a 'do nothing/tag
spam/delete spam' radio-button would be easy.

Well, that's what I plan to do, anyway...

[ ... ]

> Complexity == bad.
>
> Every time we make it possible to misconfigure mailscanner in such a way as
> to do Bad Things, we condemn some poor sod to lose mail/get viruses/whatever
> in exactly that way. Murphy's Law.

Yes. Absolutely.

--
John Hawkes-Reed
Unix hacker. RIT Bristol. T:(0117) 312-8787