Excluding Certain Recipients

Christopher Hicks chicks at CHICKS.NET
Mon Jan 7 15:56:21 GMT 2002

On Mon, 7 Jan 2002, Nick Phillips wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 06, 2002 at 03:44:11PM -0500, Christopher Hicks wrote:
> > I think there's an opportunity here for a more general feature.
> This could get ridiculously complex, couldn't it?

No. I think it would be much simpler.

$RecipCfg = {
        bob at domain.com => {
                Scan => 'No',
        },
        tom at domain.com => {
                Spam => 'Delete',
        },
        kim at domain.com => {
                # gets lots of virus, lets be insanely thorough
                SpamScanners => [innoculate,fprot,sophos],
        },
};

How would you express that in sendmail.cf?

> Wouldn't it be better to use some kind of filter in the MTA config
> after it's passed through mailscanner?

Better?  Not noticably.  Easier?  Certainly not.  I like sendmail, but I
wouldn't want to have to force it to do this sort of thing.  For one
thing, I like the same sendmail.cf being usable for the incoming and
outgoing queues.  That wouldn't work if it the outgoing queue had to
enable various filters.  But even more importantly, given the choice
between making sendmail filter or adding the functionality into
mailscanner myself, I'd much rather write perl.  And that way, once I
add mailscanner to my qmail boxes I don't have to worry about dorking with
qmail to get it to do what I want either.

> I'd rather not see too much duplicated complexity between mailscanner
> and MTAs - especially with MTAs' histories of getting it wrong.

Broke MTA's would seem to make doing it right once much more sensible. :)

--
</chris>

Neither sweat, nor blood, nor frustration, or lousy manuals
nor missing parts, or wrong parts shall keep me from my task.