Solaris "pkg" format?

David Lee t.d.lee at DURHAM.AC.UK
Fri Jan 4 16:08:36 GMT 2002

On Fri, 4 Jan 2002, Nick Phillips wrote:

> > It would be great if the installation process could be automated,
>
> I'm (very slowly) working on it.
>
> > and the
> > most natural way to do this would be using the Solaris "pkg" mechanism
> > (analogous to the Redhat RPM stuff).
>
> Er, no, it wouldn't.
>
> The first and most important stage is to come up with a nice easy way to
> go from a tarball to a configured and installed system on *any* platform.
>
> (i.e. something similar or equivalent to "configure; make install")

Thanks for the reply, Nick.

Actually we agree.  I was describing the ultimate outcome for a
Solaris-based end-user.  You are describing the means by which we, as
"producers", enable that outcome to be achieved.

[ Aside: About a year ago I asked a question on the "automake" list about
the possibility of adding support for something likedoing a "make pkg"
model of activity and there was a small flurry of discussion.  As far as I
recall there was no strong dissension (but I must confess, no other wild
enthusiasm, either).  Since then I was in private email contact with
someone who was considering taking the idea forward. ]