Excluding Certain Recipients

Michael Chaney mdchaney at MICHAELCHANEY.COM
Thu Jan 3 19:50:54 GMT 2002

On Thu, Jan 03, 2002 at 08:42:54AM +0000, Julian Field wrote:
> At 20:00 02/01/2002, you wrote:
> >Is there a way to make certain users not have their incoming mail
> >scanned?
>
> No.
> People here have asked for that feature too, and I have flatly refused to
> implement it. What happens if they receive a virus, then forward the mail
> onto 50 other people inside your organisation? Slightly negates the point
> of having a virus scanner, doesn't it?

That's making the [incorrect] assumption that my mail server serves only
my organization.  In my case, I'm adding the above functionality to
allow access by domain, although I could do it on the Exim level.
Basically, because the licensing for the virus scanning software costs a
lot, I can bypass that for domains that don't want to pay extra (but
still get the rest of what mailscanner has to offer, which IMHO is
significant anyway).

So people don't get virus scanning unless they pay, but we can still catch
a lot of them by looking for double extensions and the like.

Michael
--
Michael Darrin Chaney
mdchaney at michaelchaney.com