Could not parse message error

David Lee t.d.lee at DURHAM.AC.UK
Fri Feb 22 16:48:02 GMT 2002

On Fri, 22 Feb 2002, Ray Gardener wrote:

> I got this yesterday albeit with exim rather than sendmail. Somehow I had
> two instances of mailscanner started and one instance was trying to process
> a file that had already been moved to the out going queue.

As I understand it, MailScanner can only safely run with as a single
instance.  With more, locking, and message corruption/loss apparently
becomes an issue.

At the absolute minimum, could we ask Julian to adjust MailScanner so that
it can only run a single instance (at most), please?  That is, fail-safe.
Ray is not alone in being someone who has, for whatever reason,
accidentally ended up with two instances running.

Far preferable, of course, and as being discussed and "me too'd" on
another thread, would be to support multiple instances.