SpamAssassin

Steve Evans sevans at FOUNDATION.SDSU.EDU
Wed Feb 20 16:24:11 GMT 2002

I'd be happy if only our senior management felt that way.  Around here
EVERYBODY thinks they are way to important to do anything for
themselves.

Steve

-----Original Message-----
From: Martin Hepworth [mailto:martinh at SOLID-STATE-LOGIC.COM]
Sent: Wednesday, February 20, 2002 8:18 AM
To: MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK
Subject: Re: SpamAssassin

Julian Field wrote:

> At 16:06 20/02/2002, you wrote:
>
>> I installed Mailscanner 3.11.1 and Command AntiVirus 4.62.4.
>> Everything goes well.  Now it's time to test with SpamAssassin.  I am

>> not running spamd/spamc.  Mailscanner calls SpamAssassin, and adds
>> {SPAM} on the subject when spam e-mails are found.  Is there a  way
>> to drop these spam e- mails rather than tag the {SPAM} and deliver to

>> users?  Thanks for any comment/suggestion.
>

> Basically, no.
>
> MailScanner doesn't just drop the spam as any automatic system
> sometimes gets it wrong, and deleting mail that users might want is a
> very fast way to annoy your users. So I just tag it, but still deliver

> it, leaving the user to decide what to do with it. It is then very
> easy for users to set up a filter in their email program that will,
> for example, move all the tagged mail into an "Auto-Spam" folder which

> they just need to briefly check once a week.
> --
> Julian Field                Teaching Systems Manager
> jkf at ecs.soton.ac.uk         Dept. of Electronics & Computer Science
> Tel. 023 8059 2817          University of Southampton
>                             Southampton SO17 1BJ

Julian

Assuming your users can be bothered. We got lots of senior management
who can just cope with reading/sending mail never mind actually
configuriong their mail client do do 'fancy' stuff.

We take a central approach, any suspect spam hits the admin team who
decide whether to dump it or release it. Therefore we'd like this
feature as well, or at least the ability to redirect the stuff.

--
Martin Hepworth
Senior Systems Administrator

system manager.