GNU / Linux based Anti Virus Software!

Rishi Gangoly rishi at THEARGONCOMPANY.COM
Sun Feb 17 22:47:33 GMT 2002

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rose, Bobby" <brose at MED.WAYNE.EDU>
To: <MAILSCANNER at JISCMAIL.AC.UK>
Sent: Monday, February 18, 2002 3:49 AM
Subject: Re: GNU / Linux based Anti Virus Software!

> It's stupid licensing to charge per user anyway for unix.  They don't
> charge per user for Windows machines.  Virus protection isn't protecting
> the user, it's protecting the machine.  It's the machine that gets
> infected and spreads virus not the user.  The user is just a carrier.
>
> Then you get into the concept of mail gateway's which typically don't
> have any users.  The concept of charging per user protected which was
> one statement from a Symantec reseller for their Nav for Gateways.  Yeh
> right, it's a gateway that scanning incoming and outgoing mail and if
> you relay for a large domain especially educational environments, then
> there isn't any way you could ever know how many users.  I don't think
> the AV folks have a clue about their own licensing and salespeople say
> whatever they think the licensing might mean.  Whenever I checked for
> products to do what mailscanner does, I got different answers or that
> they would have to check with someone else.
>
> My 2 cents.

Bobby,

Thanks for your 2 cents. It means a lot to me when there do exist other
people are from me that feel the same way.

In fact once, this technical guy from F-Secure said that we could use
F-Secure Linux Command Line Scanner the way we wanted and then later his on
sales guy came in to say that it had to be used per user/mailbox.

What jerks man.

Julian,

Now you see why we need to look at other alternatives like Open Anti Virus.

Regards

----
Rishi Gangoly
The Argon Company