GNU / Linux based Anti Virus Software!

Miguel Koren O´ Brien de Lacy miguelk at KONSULTEX.COM.BR
Sat Feb 16 20:15:04 GMT 2002

Rishi;

I think it's important to take a look at an actual license and have a lawyer go
over it. Perhaps someone could could include the Sophos license to look at? I
don't have it since I am still using the evaluation software from their site.
On the other hand, I think that the whole idea of "per mailbox" is very
unreasonable, contrary to the notion os "users" and perhaps not even
enforceable (have to see the license, though) because I don't see why I would
be prohibited from having a separate "server" to which I would ftp files to be
scanned by just 1 Sophos (or other) license (maybe Mail Scanner can do this in
the current version?). It would be like Microsoft saying that you have to pay
for x windows 98 licenses, for 1 PC, if there are x persons in your family. In
other words, the "intent" to use the software (the intent to protect the
mailbox) justifies charging a price for it? So the concept of "user" and
"mailbox" seem to be confused here. The actual "user" of the Sophos software is
user "sav" (in my case).

Of course, the software companies don't care if you can or can not afford to
pay for all your mailboxes :-). If you can not they don't want you to use their
software. I think it's time to have a license analyzed by a lawyer.

Miguel