Probs using Kaspersky AVP

Sander Jonkers (grachtzicht.cjb.net) sander at GRACHTZICHT.CJB.NET
Fri Feb 15 10:41:00 GMT 2002

On Fri, 15 Feb 2002, Julian Field wrote:

> At 09:48 15/02/2002, you wrote:
> >I want to use Kaspersky instead Sophos
> >So when i change conf to use Kaspersky i get error:
> >  FATAL: *Please go and READ*
> >http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/install/codestatus.shtml
> >at /usr/local/MailScanner/bin/logger.pl line 60.
> >
> >running mailscanner-3.10-4 with Sophos {no problem}
> >
> >Anybody have any ideas?
>
> For heavens sake, have you read the error message? Perhaps you might want
> to re-read the "*Please go and READ*" bit.

I also did not understand the message one month ago. I believe the message
at time was "FATAL: Read http:/..", which I misunderstood as "FATAL:
Reading http://...". In other words, I thought the problem occured during
the read of that http page.
The message is better now, but can be even better:

> How clear and simple do I have to make this message????

First of all: 'FATAL' looks scarying, like something that is unexpected
and cannot be handled in a normal way. 'Warning:' would be better IMHO.

Second: The reason for stopping is simple and should be mentioned. AFAIK
the reason is, for example:

"Your Virus Scanner is 'f-prot', but your Minimum Code
Status is 'supported', which do not match. Mailscanner has decided to
stop. Please read http://... for instructions how to solve this.'"

Just my idea.

Sander