Confused about Queues

Spicer, Kevin KevinS at BMRB.CO.UK
Fri Dec 20 16:06:54 GMT 2002

> 140 S root      1645     1  0  69   0    -  1240 do_sel Dec17
> ?        00:00:00 sendmail: accepting connections
>
> 040 S root      1650     1  0  69   0    -  1217 pause  Dec17
> ?        00:00:00 sendmail: Queue runner at 00:15:00 for
> /var/spool/mqueue

Okay, looks like the queue runner is using the right queue - which is why your mail isn't going out - so either Mailscanner is causing it to end up in the wrong queue, or the incoming sendmail is queueing in the wrong place

> grep mqueue /etc/mail/sendmail.cf
> O QueueDirectory=/var/spool/mqueue
> #O ControlSocketName=/var/spool/mqueue/.control
> #

And sendmail seems to have the correct queue in the cf file

> grep X-Mail /var/spool/clientmqueue/qf*
> #
> returns nothing. From this, am I to assume that the mail is
> not being scanned?

Seems reasonable

So it looks like incoming mail is going into clientmqueue not mqueue.in.  I'd check your init script to make sure its set to use the correct queue.  Are you sure this is all mail (incoming and outgoing), or just mail sent from the machine hosting the mailscanner?

It might be informative to take a look at some of the headers in the qf files to see whats happening.