Confused about Queues

Dawes, Stephen Stephen.Dawes at GOV.CALGARY.AB.CA
Fri Dec 20 15:24:40 GMT 2002

Yes, when I installed MailScanner, I took the steps to turn sendmail off.
Service sendmail stop
chkconfig sendmail off

A subsequent re-boot of the computer confirmed that sendmail was indeed not running, as it did not start as part of the boot routine, and a ps -e did not list sendmail either.

After which I did a:
chkconfig MailScanner on
service MailScanner start
which resulted in MailScanner and sendmail now showing up in the ps -e output. ( A good thing I thought! )

As to the first part of your note, the results of a ps query done a few minutes ago are shown with the calling command below.

ps -e -l |grep ail
140 S     0  1645     1  0  69   0    -  1240 do_sel ?        00:00:00 sendmail
040 S     0  1650     1  0  69   0    -  1217 pause  ?        00:00:00 sendmail
040 S     0  1659     1  0  69   0    -  3740 wait4  ?        00:00:00 MailScann
040 S     0  1662  1659  0  69   0    -  3764 nanosl ?        00:00:01 MailScann

Does this shead any light?

Steve Dawes
PH:  (403) 268-5527.
Mailto:  sdawes at calgary.ca

NOTICE::
This communication is intended ONLY for the use of the person or entity named above and may contain information that is confidential or legally privileged. If you are not the intended recipient named above or a person responsible for delivering messages or communications to the intended recipient, YOU ARE HEREBY NOTIFIED that any use, distribution, or copying of this communication or any of the information contained in it is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in error, please notify us immediately by telephone and then destroy or delete this communication, or return it to us by mail if requested by us. The City of Calgary thanks you for your attention and cooperation.