<<<No Message Collected>>> [Was Re: SYSERR(root): readqf: cannot open ./df*]

Spicer, Kevin Kevin.Spicer at BMRB.CO.UK
Tue Dec 17 15:48:33 GMT 2002

> I originally thought this was unrelated - but I now suspect
> that mailscanner and sendmail are racing each other to grab
> messages from the mqueue.in queue.  I'm guessing that for
> each mail recieved one of four things happens...
> 1) Mailscanner sees the mail quickly and processes it normally
> 2) Sendmail sees the mail quickly and delivers it without
> being scanned
> 3) Both see it around the same time, mailscanner trys to
> process and sendmail trys to deliver, but mailscanner picks
> up the body before sendmail causing sendmail to replace the
> body with '<<<No Message Collected>>>' and log an error.  The
> outgoing sendmail alo attempts to deliver the message (after
> scanning) but it is silently discarded by the Exchange server
> which incoming mail is forwarded to [Big guess there!].
> 4) Both see it around the same time, mailscanner trys to
> process and sendmail trys to deliver, but sendmail gets the
> body first causing mailscanner to log an error to the console
> when it trys to cat the file.

I have now managed to prove some of this.  I stopped the mailscanner and just started a sendmail -bd -ODeliveryMode=queueonly -OQueueDirectory=/var/spool/mqueue.in
I was able to watch mail queue up, then occaisionally a message would be delivered straight out of the mqueue.in queue.

I guess the good news is that this is not being caused by mailscanner itself! (Julian apologies for any time you've spent looking for this)  Anyone got any ideas?

BMRB International
http://www.bmrb.co.uk +44 (0)20 8566 5000

This message (and any attachment) is intended only for the recipient and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. If you have received this in error, please contact the sender and delete this message immediately. Disclosure, copying or other action taken in respect of this email or in reliance on it is prohibited. BMRB International Limited accepts no liability in relation to any personal emails, or content of any email which does not directly relate to our business.