RamDisk

Randy Herban RHerban at GRAMTEL.NET
Mon Dec 16 16:33:06 GMT 2002

Alas, I have never tried it either.  I was browsing the new MaximumPC and it
had a 4Gig PCI card just for this. (the site address is www.cenatek.com) and
that was what peaked my interest.
I checked each of the boxes in my cluster and none are using more than 4 gig
of space on /var so this would be ideal.

The beefiest box in my cluster is this:
AMD 1.3G
1G RAM
30G SCSI drive (not sure on speed)
RedHat 8.0
MS 4.05-3
Sendmail 8.12.5

Normally it uses near 900meg+ of ram (I think there might be a mem leak in
mailscanner, not 100% sure tho) and it handles mail very well.
I have noticed that when the incoming queue builds up past a certain point,
it just keeps on going and doesn't catch up.  I have cron scripts setup to
stop accepting mail once the mqueue.in hits 5000 and doesn't start accepting
until it drops below 4500.  For whatever reason, once I stop accepting
messages, the queue drops down several thousand even though I start
accepting mail again at 4500msgs.

This behavior is similar on my other 2 boxes, they are not as fast as this
so they seem to suffer a bit more.

Does anyone have any suggestions or tips for me ?
I know I will have to try the new version of mailscanner for sure.

Randy