SV: Regarding file extension and numerous dots

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Mon Dec 16 16:03:43 GMT 2002

At 15:30 16/12/2002, you wrote:
> [...]

The reason your DiagLath.bak.korr.pdf filename was originally blocked is
due to another rule in the "filename.rules.conf" file, which specifically
catches (and blocks) filenames which look like they have 2 filename
extensions on them. In your case ".korr.pdf" is harmless, but this is a
trick used by many viruses to try to get you to click on the attachment
relying on Windows hiding the real filename extension (which many email
apps do by default, particularly Microsoft ones). So they make
"NewVirus.txt.scr" appear to just be "NewVirus.txt" which people may open,
thinking it is just a text file and hence harmless.

If you don't like the double-file-extension trap in filename.rules.conf,
then just comment it out.
--
Julian Field