firewall ports needed for spamassassin

Julian Field mailscanner at ecs.soton.ac.uk
Fri Dec 13 18:02:07 GMT 2002

At 17:48 13/12/2002, you wrote:
>I am having a real problem with spamassassin (configured through
>MailScanner). I have discovered that when I turn on any RBL checks
>with/within MailScanner, I get timeouts on all of them. I do not see
>anything when the checks are done with spamassassin.
>
>This machine is behind a firewall. Do I need anything opened up in the
>firewall to allow the RBL checks to occur.

SpamAssassin will be doing a load of DNS lookups, using whatever machine is
referred to in the /etc/resolv.conf just like all other DNS lookups
(someone will correct me if I'm wrong).

So it needs to be able to access a DNS server which can do TCP+UDP port 53
to the outside world (note "to" not "from", you aren't creating an inbound
hole).
--
Julian Field