SYSERR(root): readqf: cannot open ./df*

Kevin Spicer kevins at BMRB.CO.UK
Thu Dec 12 12:04:34 GMT 2002

I've been having this problem too, but on an older version of Mailscanner
(3.23).  I didn't think it was a problem until I started getting reports
from users of mail delivered with '<<<No Message Collected>>>' instead of
the body.  The ID's of these messages tied up with those in the error log.
I also noted error messages like the following...

Dec  9 10:53:59 mailhost sendmail[19633]: gB9Arxid019633: SYSERR(root):
cannot flock (/etc/mail/access.db, fd=7, type=1, omode=100000, euid=0): No
locks available

I've been doing a bit of research into this and I _thought_ I'd found out
what causes it.  According to the release notes for sendmail 8.12.5 (
http://www.sendmail.org/8.12.5.html ) there is an issue with file locking
under 2.4 linux kernels.  Upgrading to sendmail 8.12.6 did not help, so I
recompiled sendmail from the source rpm with -DHASFLOCK=0 - this means that
sendmail uses fcntl rather than flock for locking.  It appears that the
Mandrake rpms don't do this by default (perhaps no-one noticed because
postfix is the default?.

But this has not helped!!!.  I might try a 2.2 kernel next - unless anyone's
got a better idea?

NOTE: I also had to add 'Lock Type = posix' to mailscanner.conf (Hopefully
someone can confirm whether this is correct - it seems to be working
though!)

Its also worth noting that sendmail 8.13 is supposedly going to default to
fcntl rather than flock.